Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Traditions

Recently I've been thinking about traditions.  I think it's summer time.  I see Facebook posts about things like spending the day at the pool and going to the beach.  It makes me think about summer traditions.

Growing up, my family always went to Florida on vacations.  We lived in Georgia and my grandparents lived in Florida.  My mom and aunts would pile all the kids into cars, early in the morning, and we'd make the 8 hour drive.  I don't really remember the drives.  I do remember spending days at the Bath Club.  I thought it was the fanciest place around.  They had a beach, a pool AND a restaurant were you could sit outside AND they put fruit in your drinks.  Fancy.

When I got older, we moved to Maryland.  In Maryland, vacation means "goin down the ocean".  It's not to the ocean or to the beach, it's down the ocean.  Brian and I thought we would have this tradition.  We went last year. It was a lot of fun.



I was also planning on joining a pool.  I thought the kids and I would spend our summer days at the pool.

Then we moved.

Today in Seattle it was raining with a high of 57. Raining and 57 is not beach or pool weather.  I've been told summer doesn't start until July 5th.  That's only 3 weeks away.  The average temperatures in July and August are around 75.  Even September is pretty nice.  But what do we do?  What will our summer traditions be?

We do have a neighborhood pool.  I'm in no way convinced that pool will ever be warm enough for the kids to play in.  We have a beach down the street, but the water in the Sound will never be warm enough to play in, and beaches around here aren't like beaches on the east coast.  They are rocky and small.

I don't want to sounds like I'm down on summers in Seattle.  From what I remember, summers here are awesome.  All I'm saying is things will be different.  Our family traditions will be different, but I want to make sure we have them.  I want Pnut and Little Dude to grow up saying "We always did....".  Traditions are important.

So do I wait for the years to go by and see what traditions develop, or do I decide what the traditions will be and start them?

I just thought this was funny.


No comments:

Post a Comment