Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2014

This Time Next Week!!

If all goes well, this time next week I will be laying in bed with my feet up after finishing the Portland Marathon.  I'm not going to lie, the last 2 weeks have been rough.  They have had me wondering if I'm going to be able to cross the finish line.  I had a calf injury.  A pull or strain or something.  I hurt my calf.  It's still tight and balls up when I run.  I also have these ridiculous knots in my butt and hip, and my lower back is tight.(Seriously, do you feel like you're listening to your grandmother talk about all her ailments?)   I've been told it's due to a tight or "sticky" psoas.  To top it off, I'm not sleeping because my lovely children, and dogs aren't sleeping.  Oh yeah, I also started taking some medication a couple months ago that decreases my appetite.  Normally I'd be thrilled to not be hungry, but it makes it hard to train for a marathon when you're not eating.

Enough of whining.  Thankfully my friend Julie, who is running Portland, posted a blog about her "taper maddens" this morning.  You can read it here.  It's very funny.  It also made me feel better about the crazy place my mind is right now.  Like maybe I'm just a little crazy right now and I actually will be able to run 26.2 miles next week.



I've decided to do whatever I can to get to the starting line, and the finish line, and enjoy the miles in between.  I spent today preparing for the week ahead.  I made food so it will be easier to make myself eat. I did all the laundry.  I cleaned the kitchen.  I made sure the kids have everything they need for school.  I want this week to be nothing but Operation Get Ready for Portland.  I'm getting ART (active release technique) tomorrow and Wednesday. Then going back Friday to get my calf taped up.  I'm going to take naps when I can and just rest as much as possible.  I'm going to try to get to yoga at least 3 times. I'm going to think happy thoughts, do daily affirmations, meditate, make a sacrifice to the marathon Gods.....whatever I need to do.

2 comments:

  1. So excited for you!!! You got this - you WILL finish and you will do great! Relax, take it one step at a time, one hour at a time, one day at a time. You're prepared, you're ready! Just keep smiling and relax.
    Cheering you on from afar - wishing I was there in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out :D I have been so out of sorts this weekend. We've spent all these months getting our bodies ready to run this race. Sunday will just be about us letting our legs get the job done. (That sounds like a good affirmation, right?)

    ReplyDelete