Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

One Step Closer

I've been struggling with respiratory issues for about 6 weeks now. It is getting old.  This morning I went to NW Asthma and Allergy to get some answers. Pnut went with me because she didn't have school today.  I knew this would be a long appointment so I was prepared.  I downloaded all kinds of stuff on the iPad.  Thank goodness I did, because the appointment was longer than I expected.

Once I got there the nurse made me breathe into a tube.  My breathing was in the normal range. I took this as a good sign since the last two doctors I had seen kept talking about asthma.  Next, I met with an intern (or maybe a Fellow) either way, he asked me a billion questions.  I did have to confess to smoking (many moons ago) while Pnut was in the room.  Thankfully she was watching Scooby Doo and I don't think she heard.  I sure hope not.

Next I was tested for allergies.


This caused a lot of coughing and a runny nose, but no hives.  So the doctor decided to do some more testing.  Something called inter-dermal testing. They shot the stuff into my arm.  This was a little unpleasant, but not bad.

It turns out I'm a little allergic to cats, dogs and dust mites.  The doctor didn't think my allergies were bad enough to be causing my problems.  So.....we moved on to a CT Scan.  These guys were not messing around.  I have the CT Scan and the nice lady who did it took some time to show the pictures to Pnut and explain what was what.  She loved it.  

When the doctor came back he explained that I have a sinus infection and this was the cause of my breathing problems.  I was SUPER thankful to be finished with all the asthma talk.  A sinus infection seems much more manageable.  

I'm on another 14 days of antibiotics plus another round of steroids.  I had to stop the last round of steroids because the side effects were so bad.  I'm really not looking forward to taking it again.  At least it's only 4 days.  I was told I could start running again after I finish the steroids.  I REALLY hope this works.  I'm anxious to get back out there.  I feel like I'm one step closer.  I hope I'm one step closer.


No comments:

Post a Comment