Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Exerciser or Athlete

I FINALLY made it back to the gym.  The move made work outs difficult this week.  Thankfully the house is close to being finished.  Even if it wasn't, I needed to get out.  The kids were driving me nutty.

I showed up at the gym and found my treadmill.  I would have run outside but today is Brian's birthday and I thought he might like some alone time.  So I took the kids to the gym with me.  I got on a treadmill next to a lady with a Kona 2011 shirt on.  For those who don't know, Kona is where they have the Ironman Championship.  This lady was an athlete.  I'm guessing she was 10 years older than me and she looked amazing.  Not to mention her treadmill was much faster and at more of an incline than mine was.

I should take you back a couple hours.   I had an Italian cold cut and chocolate cake for lunch.  Like I said, it is Brian's birthday.  I don't normally have lunch cake. So, I got on the treadmill for a 5 mile run, with cake and salami in my tummy.  At one point puke came up my nose. It was gross, and painful.  I should add, for dinner last night, I had pizza and beer.  I'm not 100% sure, but I'm guessing Mrs. Kona didn't have pizza, beer, salami and cake before her run.  She is an athlete.  I, unfortunately, am an exerciser.  I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being an exerciser.  I ran 5 miles.  I'm not complaining.  But I want to be an athlete.

How do I do that?  Well, I came up with a couple things.  First, I need to eat like an athlete.  I need to think of my food as fuel, not just something to fill me up.  I'm not saying there won't be nights of pizza and beer, but I'm going to try to limit them.  Second, I need to sleep like an athlete.  I don't need to stay up to watch Cobert, then wake up at 6am.  My body needs more sleep than that.  My last thought was I need to work out like an athlete.  Work outs need to be as important as the other things on my to do list.  If this means I have to wake up before everyone gets up in order to train, that's what I need to do.  If I have to put the kids in the "jogging stroller" (that has quotes because it's really a bike trailer and it's a pain to run with) to run, that's what I need to do.

I'll check back in at the end of the month and let you know if I made the transition.  Right now, I'm going to have one last piece of cake.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I know what you mean!! I have been working at eating better and working out better but it is lifestyle change and having a kiddo and in your case kiddos it makes it more difficult to give yourself "me" time. Hope it goes well and don't get upset if you aren't perfect all the time because none of us are :)

    ReplyDelete