I've been beating myself up recently, about all of my short coming. In a moment of clarity (or maybe a hallucination brought about by a kick to the head from my darling daughter) I thought "Would you say the things you say to yourself, to a friend?" Would I tell a friend she was a bad mother because she didn't give her children a fruit or a vegetable with breakfast (or lunch or dinner) ? Certainly not. But I will beat myself up about it. Parenting is a ridiculously hard job. Every time I think I'm doing something right, BAM! something happens. I've decided I'm going to be nicer to myself. I'm going to do some Stuart Smally affirmations :)
|Thank you Wikipedia|
- You are a good mom!
- It is not your job to entertain your children 24 hours a day.
- No one will get scurvy from a day (or 2) without fruits and vegetables.
- There is nothing wrong with your children wearing dirty socks (or pants) because you haven't done laundry.
- Pnut knows you love her, even if she's angry at all the attention Little Dude is getting from potty training.
- People who give you dirty looks because your children aren't behaving, do not know anything about you or your children. They don't know how hard you (and your children) try.
- You only have so much control over what your children do. You don't take credit for the great things they do, why do you take blame for the "bad" things?
That's all I have time for now. Nap time is almost over. I'm
guessing hoping I'm not the only one who feels defeated at times. Be nice to yourself! Remember you're good enough, you're strong enough, and, doggonit, people like you!!
I hope it's ok I borrowed that from SNL. Guessing no one from there reads my blog.