Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Facing Fears

Last year I wrote this post about being scared.  It was my very first blog post :)  In it I made a goal to do things that scare me.  One of those things was Bikram Yoga.  In that post, I said I'd try it in January.  That was January 2012.  Finally in February of 2013, I conquered that fear.

I convinced Erika and Julie to try it with me.  It happened during the Super Bowl party, so they might have been tipsy when they agreed.  Either way, they agreed.

The few days leading up to the big day, I was freaking out.  I had nightmares.  I had stomachaches.  I built this up to be so big and scary.

Finally the day came.  The three of us actually showed up. No one chickened out but we all looked terrified.  (We didn't get any pictures, but check out Julie's blog, I'm sure she will have drawings.) We finally walked into the hot room and WOW...it was hot, and it smelled a little funny, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  It was bigger and brighter than I expected.  I was also happy to learn there were bathrooms in the hot room.  One of my biggest fears was I'd be locked in a room and not be able to pee :)

Once we started, the sweating began.  Holy moly!  I had no idea I could sweat that much. Seriously, it was nutty.  I was able to do more than I thought I would be able to.  I had to sit down a couple times because I got dizzy, but it really wasn't that bad.

I'm soooo glad I sucked it up, got past my fear, and did it.  I'm already making plans to go back.

Have you conquered any fears recently?

4 comments:

  1. Just read your first post! You've conquered a lot of fears--that's awesome! I'm so glad you convinced us to do the class (yes, perhaps I was a little tipsy when I said yes.) I think I might actually like this kind of yoga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're awesome for conquering your fear! I may be the hardest step but you did it! :) wtg girls!!

    Um. I have conquered my fear of the half marathon. Im ready to embrace the full marathon in november.

    ReplyDelete