- Always wear Body Glide. I forgot and I thought my thighs were going to start a fire. Three days later and I still have a rash.
- Just because Starburst Gel things look like GU Chomps, doesn't mean they work like GU Chomps. In my frustration, I stopped at a gas station to get water and a snack. Starburst gel things seemed like a good idea. They were not.
- If you forget lesson number 2, be sure you know where all the bathrooms along your route are located. I had some serious stomach issues around mile six.
- Running in the sunshine is awesome. It was a rare sunny Seattle day.
- Mental toughness is as important as physical toughness. Sometimes more important.
- I am tougher than I think I am.
- Beer tastes better after a long run.
- It is acceptable to wear compression gear out to dinner. I did my best to hide it.
- Valuable lessons can be learned from less than stellar training sessions. I know I will have a race where I'm not feeling it. I will want to give up. When that happens, I hope I will remember this painful 9 mile run. I hope I will remind myself that I can push through the pain and fight to finish.
Tuesday, May 29, 2012
This past weekend my long run was 9 miles. It was tough. I wanted to give up around mile 2. I tried to convince myself to go home and try again tomorrow. Thankfully I didn't listen to that part of my brain. Another part chimed in and reminded me that you can't have a "do over" in a race. You can't go home and try again tomorrow. So I stuck with it. Not that it was easy, but I did it. I finished my 9 miles and was really proud of myself. I came up with some lessons learned from the painful run.
Posted by christy at 10:59 AM