Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Kick In The Pants

I went to a sports medicine doctor this morning.  Little Dude came with me.  He only has school on Monday's and Tuesday's.  He was awesome.  Thank goodness for ipads!


As for the doctor visit, it sucked.  The doctor seemed like he knew what he was talking about.  Asked good questions, pushed on the spot on my leg that made me want to cry, typical dr stuff.  He said "You have a stress fracture. Let's get an xray to see if it shows up."  It didn't show up. I thought this was good news.  He said "Still certain you have a stress fracture."  He offered to do a bone scan if I wanted proof. With LD there, this didn't seem like the best course of action.  Fracture or shin splints...does it really matter?  Either way I can't run.

Dr said no running for 3 more weeks.  (So much for the Mercer Island Half).  If I'm pain free in 3 weeks I can start running again.  He said I should take 4-6 weeks to build my mileage back up.  For those counting, that will be the beginning of May.  The Rock n Roll Half is June 23rd.  I'm not sure exactly what that means.  I guess if I'm back up to running 11 miles early in May, that would be good.

The Dr also told me to take calcium and vitamin D supplements.  Here in the Pacific Northwest, the sun doesn't shine enough for you to get vitamin D naturally.  THEN he proceeded to tell me the dosage of vitamins  for a middle aged women!  WHAT!?!  When did that happen?  Someone really should have told me.  I told the doc his comment was worse than the stress fracture.  He laughed and tried to backtrack.  Then he looked at my chart and said "yep, 37....but...I'd love to be middle aged again..." blah blah blah.  Damage was done.  I'm old and broken.  That's what I heard.

Will being angry help heal a stress fracture?  I'm no doctor, but I doubt it.  Being angry will do nothing useful.  So, after LD's nap we are headed for the bike shop.  They will have my beautiful bike, chitty chitty bang bang, (thanks for the name Geoff) ready by Friday.

I will take as many spin class as I can and get myself back in the pool.  I will enjoy these 3 weeks off from running and I will not be angry anymore. Well, I'll try my best.

5 comments:

  1. Good mind set. It's great you can still bike and swim :) That will keep you busy and before you know it, you will be back to running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man, that sucks! I'm sorry! At least you have other options that you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear that. I hate reading about all these injuries. Hang in there and feel better soon. I start PT tomorrow and hope to see improvement soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry but glad you got a diagnosis and can now start healing! Hang in there - lots of wine and treats :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh. What a pain. Heed the 'take it easy' advice. There will always be more opportunities to race, but unless you're healthy...

    Here's hoping the healing is quick and complete and not much of a setback at all :)

    ReplyDelete