Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Compairison

I've been thinking about this a lot recently.  I think back to my first triathlon in 2004.  It was the Reebok Women's Sprint.  I knew nothing about triathlon and I didn't know anyone else who was doing one.
This was the finish.  You can't tell, but I was happy :)



 
My second season I added an Olympic distance.  This was INSANE for me at the time.  By 2005 I knew of a couple people who were doing Danskin. Friend of a friend kind of thing.  I didn't know anyone who had done an Olympic distance.  I was so freaked out about it, I saw a nutritionist.  I also stopped drinking before the race because I was worried about dehydration.  It was in Seattle.  Looking back, not much of a risk of dehydration :)  This was also my first co-ed race.  Super scary.
I went to a party after the race and told everyone about it.  They were shocked that I had done something so amazing (or at least they pretended to care).

Fast forward to 2013.  Thanks to Facebook, Twitter, and blogs, everyone I know does triathlons, runs marathons, does adventure races...You name it, I "know" someone who does it.  

Does this make my accomplishments any less amazing?  Sometimes it does.  I finished a half Ironman.  I should be thrilled.  Instead, I see people who use my BIG RACE as warm up.  I read about people who run 2 marathons in a weekend.  People who run ultra marathons.  

I joined this online world of endurance athletes to be inspired.  And don't get me wrong, I am inspired.  I have learned so much more is possible than I ever could have imagined.  But sometimes it gets to me.  I can't open my Facebook page on a weekend and not see at least 5 pictures of race medals. I can't look Daily Mile and not find someone who has logged insane mileage.  Sometimes it's too much.

I need to step back and be proud of what I've accomplished compared to when I started.  Not worry about what other people have accomplished.

5 comments:

  1. Well, justsoyaknow, you inspire me, I am continually amazed at what you do on a daily basis, not just when you are being morethanmommy. I LOVE that you are morethanmommy, but don't forget that your mommy role is harder and,regardless of how hard we try, all consuming, and you are beyond comparison in that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. Yupyupyup. It's ridiculous. We're hanging out online with the wrong people (but they're so awesome.) I think we talked about this, right? I am incredibly impressed that you can do half irons!! I can't do more than a sprint :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so true! We should all do this, so hard when you see other peoples' awesome times sometimes, but we all accomplish great things just by doing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should be proud! I completed a sprint tri over a year ago and I still feel like a rockstar even though I know so many others have done so much more;) It was a big thing for me since I am not a swimmer;) Comparison happens here in fitness blog land though. Hard to avoid sometimes;)

    ReplyDelete