Saturday, June 28, 2014

5 Mile Lake Sprint Race Recap

I signed up for 5 mile lake triathlon about a week after I finished Boise.  My thought was, I'd be rested enough, yet still have all the training from Boise.  I secretly hoped I could get a top 3 finish.  It is a small, local race, so I figured I had a chance.

Pre-race- I woke up at 4:45.  It was cold and I seriously thought about just staying in bed.  I made myself get up, had some coffee, got dressed, and made a peanut butter sandwich. I got all my stuff together and headed out.  The park is about an hour from my house, and I had to get their early enough to pick up my race packet.  I arrived around 6:30.  As I pulled in, the rain started.  I sat in my car for awhile and did some people watching.  EVERYONE I saw had a tri bike.  There were disk wheels and aero helmets. It seemed so crazy. This is a little, local race.  Why was everyone so professional looking?  I tried to put it out of my mind and just concentrate on my race.  I got my stuff ready in the transition area and went down to listen to the race talk.  I had no clue about the course, so I figured I should attend.  The announcer welcomed us all and mentioned this race was the Pacific Northwest Sprint Triathlon Championship! That explained all the super fit athletes.

Swim 7:58 - The water was around 67 degrees so I wore a wetsuit.  It's a short swim (.25 miles) so I thought about going without it. As soon as I got in the lake, I was glad I wore it.  The swim was pretty uneventful.  I got kicked a few time, but I felt good for the most part.

T1-2:05- It was pouring and I was freezing.  I thought about putting on a long-sleeve shirt, but no one else was wearing one, so I decided against it.  I put on my sunglasses and they fogged up, so I decided not to wear them.

Bike 49:30- I really wanted to do this in 45 minutes.  I could have, but I was so afraid of crashing in the rain, I took it easy on all the turns and probably went slower than I needed to.  The course wasn't closed to traffic.  Between that and the rain, I was kind of a wuss.

T2-1:10-Almost fell running with my bike into T2.  After that I decided to walk.  I changed shoes, put on my racebelt and visor, and headed out.

Run 25:46-I am SUPER happy with my run!!! I felt really good. I passed a couple people, a couple people passed me, but I felt strong the whole time.  This might have been my fastest 5k EVER!

My goal (aside from finishing in the top 3) was to be under 1:30.  My official time was 1:26:29!

I'm happy with it.


  1. Fantastic! You did a great job and I am so happy for you! I would of taken it easy on the bike too. The rain and the not closed to traffic course would of made me very nervous.