Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Motivation

I have always signed up for races as a motivation to train.  Without a race, I have no motivation. Lake Stevens 70.3 is 9 weeks away.  Last week I biked 45 miles and ran 9 miles.  I didn't swim once.  For those of you who don't know, a 70.3 is a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike and a 13.1 mile run.  So, my training all of last week wasn't what the race is.  That is just sad.

I told myself I would wait to register for the race until I saw if I was ready for it.  Well...I'm not ready.  I have no sense of urgency.  I figure if I'm not ready, I just won't race.  I hate that!

I don't want to register now, because I'm not sure I can get ready in 9 weeks, even if I really pushed myself.  Is 9 weeks really long enough?  I don't even know what the course is like.  I haven't ridden my bike up a hill in months.  My longest run in the last 3 months has been 4.27 miles.

On top of that, we have friends coming into town next week.  I am super excited to see them but have no idea how I will fit training in while they are here.  I'm sure I can, but am I willing to do it at the expense of  hanging out with friends I haven't seen in years?

All of you should be saying "Don't do it." "You won't be ready."  "You're insane."

I'm not sure why, but I think I can do it.  Maybe it's my second glass of wine talking, but I think I can do it.  I think I have to try. I will be so angry with myself if I don't.

I'm sick of talking about this race.  That's all I have done is talk.  This is the last you will hear about it, until I register.  If I don't register, you won't hear about it until next year.



2 comments:

  1. If you aren't after any new amazing PR then you can enjoy the race and not worry about your finish time as much as just finishing the race. Go do the race and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna. Great way to look at it. I'm definitely not after a PR, just want to have a good time and finish without walking 13 miles.

      Delete