Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

Lessons Learned from Ramona and her Mother

Pnut and I have been reading a lot of Beverly Cleary books recently.   We just finished "Ramona and Her Mother".  I'm certain I read this years ago.  Reading it as a mom, I saw it in a different light.

Here are some things I learned.

Children need mom time.- Ramona was so excited one Saturday morning, to learn there were no errands to be done.  She could sit with her mother and they could sew together. The way the book described Ramona when she was sitting next to her mom was amazing.  You could feel just how happy Ramona was, just to be sitting next to her mom.  Just because they were doing something together.

Pnut has been letting me know (in painfully exhausting ways) that she needs mom time.  She's been acting out, picking fights, and just being difficult.  So today we are having a girls day. We are going to the Science Center.  She is over the moon excited to be going without Little Dude.

Families should eat together. I realize this isn't ground breaking news.  Everything you read/hear says that you need to have family meals.  Every night Ramona has dinner with her family.  They sit around and talk about their day.  It's nice.

We have starting having family meals.  It's only been 2 days, and Brian usually isn't home, but the kids and I sit down and eat.  It has been great and the kids love it.  It has also cut down the fighting over food.  I put out the meal, and Pnut and Little Dude decide what they want and how much.  So far, so good.

Keep it simple. Ramona and her family keep things simple.  For her birthday, Ramona had a few friends meet at the playground.  Mrs. Quimby made a picnic (tuna fish sandwiches and fruit) and had a cake.  That was all Ramona needed, cake, friends and monkey bars.

For some reason we make things so complicated now.  We think our kids need more than they really do.  Mine would be happy at the playground with friends.  They would not be happy with tuna fish :)  Sometimes complicated gets overwhelming.  I think it is time to simplify things.  I'm going to start with the kids playroom.

It is ok for mom's to think of themselves.-Mrs. Quimby went to work after Mr. Quimby lost his job. Once Mr Quimby found a new job, Ramona thought her mom would stay home again.  To her surprise, her mother wanted to keep working. She enjoyed her job.  It was something she did for herself.  It gave her a sense of accomplishment. 

There are times I feel bad for taking time for myself.  Deep down inside I know I need it.  I deserve it.  Sometimes it's hard.

I'm sure there are many other lessons to be learned from Ramona and her family. I promise I won't write a book report on all the books :)

1 comment:

  1. I used to love Ramona books! Amazing how many good lessons are in kids books...I need to start reading them for myself I think :)
    Glad you had a fun day yesterday!!

    ReplyDelete