Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Lack of Control

Sometimes it just hits me...I have no control over things around me. No control over kids getting sick, or Brian working late, or Little Dude screaming, or Pnut holding her breath until she passes out...No control.

I was reminded of this again yesterday.  My plan was a 6 mile run.  I woke up to it dumping snow.  I didn't think it would be a good idea to run in it.  I was so disappointed.  My plan had been to run 6 miles.  Snow was not in the plan.  Although I should admit, I knew it was going to snow, I just didn't think it would mess up my plan.  I sulked for a little while, then I decided to head down to the "fitness center".  I'm not sure how they can get away with calling it that.  I would call it "place where we put really old stuff people used to use to exercise".  I tried to run on the treadmill, but it was a mess.  I couldn't get the speed right and it was really uncomfortable. Part of this could have been that I was just upset I wasn't outside running.  Maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought.  But that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

I came back home, sulking.  I watched the game and figured it was just going to be a waste of a day. I was cranky and angry.  The game ended and the snow stopped.  I decided the snow was not going to beat me.  I put on my shoes (and hat and gloves) and went for a run in the snow.

This was my first snow run and it was not easy.  I spent most of the time trying not to fall.  My 6 mile run turned into 2 miles.  Not what I wanted, but better than sitting on the sofa feeling sorry for myself.
I can not control everything but I can control how I deal with things.  I need to remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment