Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Summer, what happened?

I had such grand plans for this summer.  Our first summer, as a family, in the Pacific Northwest.  In case you've never been, summer in Seattle is amazing.  Short, but amazing.  Now, here it is, September 13th and I'm looking back at a less than amazing summer.  Sure, we had some fabulous times, but it was nothing like what i was hoping for.

First of, my race season was a bust.  I struggled through the Rock n Roll half.  I couldn't do Lake Steven's 70.3.  The inaugural Edmonds Half is this weekend and I can't run it.  It has been a summer plagued by injury and illness.  These things happen.  You deal (and complain) and move on.

I did have some good races.  The Issaquah Sprint and the Danskin were fun and I did better than expected in both.

There is still a chance I can do the Snohomish River Run at the end of October.  Not a great chance, but a chance.

Second, the family aspect of summer.  The kids are home from school, the sun is out, days are longer, sounds perfect.  Not so much.  Pnut and I had a rough summer.  We argued and cried and screamed.  It was sad.  It still is sad, but we are working on it.

We did have some great summer time fun.  We had trips to Leavenworth, days at the beach, farmer's markets, visits from friends and family, cook outs, and tons of festivals.
Pool at Leavenworth

Orcas Island
Leavenworth
Tide pooling


More than anything, I feel bad that I didn't take full advantage of it.  It is still nice out, but the days are getting shorter, the kids are back in school and our schedules are packed.

All I can do now is move on and enjoy all fall has to offer.

I am so close to being well again.  Today is my last day of this ridiculous assortment of medicine.



I am hopeful my lungs will let me run soon.  I am confident I will get a few bike rides in before the rain comes.  I am optimistic Pnut and I will work through whatever is going on.  How could we not?


She isn't missing part of her head :)
Now that I've written this, I feel like I should cross out the first paragraph.  It wasn't a perfect summer, we had our ups and downs, but it was pretty darn good.

1 comment:

  1. I'd say you did a ton of fun stuff this summer!! And despite not feeling well, you have been active and enjoying every bit of this amazing weather! We'll have fun this fall too - the kids can play, we can have wine, run, watch football, etc... it'll be great, I promise!

    ReplyDelete